Friday, May 09, 2008

Are you all a twitter about Twitter®?

I continue to be absolutely fascinated by what is often called, social media. It truly is one of the great things about Web 2.0.


The latest, at least for me, is something called Twitter.com, a combination of blogs, instant messenger and e-mail delivered at warp speed. But this site is all about brevity, you only get 140 characters per message.


If you want to check on who is twittering about what, go register at tweetscan.com.


My other favorite is the Linkedin.com® business networking site, considered a MySpace® for adults and business professionals. One of my staff told me that he recently linked up with a friend from his college days, which was over 35 years ago. As a result of this, he linked up with several mutual friends.


LinkedIn.com is similar to a pyramid scheme, but in a good way. You link to people and then you can link to the people they’re linked to. You can link to companies you work for or have worked for, and even to the college you attended. We have a member of staff here that is linked to over a million people through her direct links. That’s what we call networking!


You can e-mail, exchange information and gossip in an organized and easy-to-use fashion.


Another site you might want to check out is fubar.com, an online bar and happy hour. I haven’t signed up yet, but it’s one of the fastest growing social media sites today.


I mentioned last week that even though many of us blog, we’re still trailing behind a great deal of countries. We are a country of voyeurs instead of creators. I maintain a schedule myself, promising to put out a blog every Friday.


If you want to really dive into the blogosphere and see what people are talking about, visit blogpulse.com.


Have a web site? See how it ranks across the World Wide Web using Socialmeter.com.


Where is it all headed? I have no idea, but it sure is fun to join in!


-John

John W. Scherer

CEO & founder, Video Professor, Inc.

Contact me at ceo@videoprofessor.com