Friday, June 16, 2006

John W. Scherer Video Professor Blog June 16, 2006

Talking About Technology!!

You can never have too much protection
We all use firewalls, antivirus software, spyware removal software, but apparently our computers are still at risk. According to Microsoft, approximately 62 percent of computers had some sort of Trojan horse program running on them. After months of tracking data from its “malicious-software removal tool,” Microsoft confirmed that it found 5.7 million computers infected with more than 16 million cases of questionable software.
Read More >

Tech-savvy kids?
You all know that I’m in the business of teaching computers and computer software with my Video Professor products. Every time I see a story like this, it makes me want to help even more. Recent findings by the Computer Science Teachers Association Curriculum Improvement Taskforce show that 74 percent of high schools do not require students to take computer education classes.
Read More >

Yahoo! bug contained
If any of you accidentally opened the “Yamanner” worm through your Yahoo! e-mail service, I hope it didn’t cause too much harm. Yahoo! officials said they have the bug contained, but you should still be on the lookout. If you get an e-mail with JavaScript that includes the phrase “New Graphic Site” in the subject field, delete it. Also, Yahoo! said other precautions you can take include updating their antivirus programs and stop incoming messages from av3@yahoo.com.
Read More >

Do we really need our iPod everywhere we go?
I’m all for taking my iPod with me to a lot of different places. I have gadgets that let me listen to my music in the house, outside on the deck and in my car. I don’t, however, think I need my iPod where they think I need my iPod. Check it out for yourself. Maybe there are people who have a strong need for music EVERYWHERE.
Read More >

Off topic:
“Soc” it to me

If a soccer game is played outside the United States and few Americans were around to hear it, did it make a noise? I guess you can tell that I’m not a soccer fan. In fact, the first bit of news I see from the World Cup involves soccer hooligans. Who gets more attention: the players on the field or the hooligans in the stands?
Read More >

Ben … You’ve been warned
Big Ben, I understand you’re young and looking for some thrills. It’s the off-season, and you’re not being chased by 300-pound linemen. You need something to keep that heart pumping. But you should have known that riding around on a motorcycle without a helmet was not only a bad idea, but it could jeopardize your playing career. I say “you should have known,” and I truly mean that. According to reports, your bosses at the Steelers warned you, in writing, last year that riding your motorcycle could put your contract at risk. Here’s some advice. You’ll have plenty of time to be a thrill seeker after your days in the NFL are over. Use your head (no pun intended).
Read More >

Good luck, Tiger
We haven’t seen you on the links for the past couple weeks. We were all saddened to hear the news of your father Earl’s passing, and we want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. As you return to the fairways at Winged Foot this week for the U.S. Open, I want to say good luck. There would be no greater gift you could give your father than your third Open title.

Site o’ the week
OK, fine, you caught me. I have a lot of inner child still in me. When I was a kid, I loved to make and fly paper airplanes. Now on days that I’m stuck behind my desk, this web site allows me to have a little fun.
View Site >

John W. Scherer
CEO and Founder
VIDEO PROFESSOR, Inc.